Product Development Coordinator
Location: New York City
Who We Are: Banza reimagines your favorite comfort foods, like pasta, pizza, mac & cheese and rice, using chickpeas. Why? Because we know chickpeas aren’t just delicious, they’re also one of the most nutritious and sustainable foods. Yet 80% of the country isn’t eating enough of them. Our mission is to inspire people to eat more chickpeas and other beans, making a positive impact on human health and the environment. Banza is the fastest-growing pasta brand in the country, and our products are available in over 21,000 stores nationwide. We’ve been named one of TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions of the Year, Adweek’s Best Food Brand, and are proud to have fans at Good Morning America, The New York Times, Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, and more.
Your Mission: As Banza grows, our product team is looking for a coordinator to support product development projects. It takes months of coordination and planning to bring a new product to market and we need a highly organized and motivated team member to help us continue to optimize our current portfolio and create new products. Your role is critical in supporting our product managers to optimize existing products and develop and launch new products. You must be highly organized to simultaneously support multiple products in development across the team. You must have a keen eye for product excellence and process improvement – when you see an imperfect noodle or a process that could be streamlined, you should be thinking of ways to understand how we can improve. You should excel in creating processes and strive for continuous improvement of Banza products and product development processes.
What You’ll Do
- Support Banza’s Product Development team by coordinating the details of product optimization projects and new product launches
- Work closely with the team to coordinate sample shipments for internal/external sensory execution and lead in-office sensory tests by preparing prototypes for weekly tastings, drafting ballots, processing results, and ensuring the Test Kitchen remains clean and organized
- Support product managers in the planning and execution of R&D initiatives for new and existing product lines, including organizing and sourcing ingredients for benchtop and scale-up line trials
- Manage external sample fulfillment warehouse partnerships and process sample requests in a timely manner
- Coordinate lab testing, analyze & report out on results, and work with product managers and Quality to update product specifications as needed
- Assist in packaging material selection and modifications by coordinating with internal team members and external consultants
- Plan and support weekly meetings with cross functional teams and partners, including scheduling meetings, creating agendas, taking detailed notes, and coordinating next actions with relevant partners
- Maintain product & packaging certificate information across all product lines, update/maintain nutritional databases, and work with Quality to confirm FDA inputs for new product packaging labels
- Work in partnership with Marketing to initiate and implement updates to packaging across all Banza products
- Coordinate Product & Culinary-related inputs for product sampling at trade shows & events
- Go above and beyond the call of duty to create net-new value for the Product team
- Other duties as assigned
Who You Are:
- Bachelor's degree in Food Science, Business Administration or another related degree, or commensurate job experience
- 1-2 years of work experience or internship experience required
- Highly organized with a keen attention to detail
- Thrive in ambiguous environments, with rapidly shifting priorities
- Highly adept at independently prioritizing and executing daily and weekly tasks
- Strong written and verbal communicator
- Passionate problem-solver with strong initiative to get the job done
- No job is too small attitude
- Skilled in Excel and PowerPoint
- Interest or experience in design thinking methodology
- Love Banza and cooking with health-focused ingredients
- Ability to travel 20%+ required
- Ability to drive required (car not required)
- Ability to go into our Midtown office 2x per week
We're aware of the research showing that historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply for a job if they don't believe that they meet all of the criteria. Do you hesitate to submit an application because you believe you need to check every box? Please apply anyway with a thoughtful cover letter! We would love to hear from you to discuss how you can help us build a great team at Banza.
Our Commitment: Banza is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. To achieve our mission of inspiring people to eat more chickpeas and other beans, we greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which comes from diversity of all types, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do and the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with all abilities, people of color, and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
Banza is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. Banza will consider qualified applicants including those with criminal histories consistent with legal requirements.
Compensation, Perks, and Benefits
Our salary ranges are based on verified market data and our philosophy of paying competitively for our size and industry. In addition to base salary, full-time team members receive equity in the company, medical, dental, and vision insurance through United Healthcare, free Banza products, and monthly stipends for fitness, internet, and cell phones.
Individual pay rate decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors. The salary range for this role is $60,000 - $70,000. The range is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated to you as a candidate.
To Apply: Write a cover letter describing why you want to join Banza and would be an excellent fit for this role, and then apply directly to this posting. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.